. .

The page is printed

A long tradition of passion

Canadian presence since 1953

The History of DB Schenker in Canada

In 1953, Dieter Moeller, a delegate from Schenker in Hamburg, came to Canada to set up an export business and help bring German products into Canada. The intention was to offer freight forwarding – primarily ocean freight – for this growing trade lane. Mr. Moeller shared operations in Toronto with one of the country’s oldest customs brokerage houses.

The company grew to a point where it made sense to create an official business presence. In 1958, Mr. Moeller became the first president of Schenker of Canada Limited. He had a staff of three people and together they offered ocean, air and customs services. Schenker’s Montreal office opened soon afterward.

The next few years saw Schenker grow its presence across the country, opening offices in Vancouver (1968), Calgary (1975), Edmonton (1977) and Winnipeg (1988). In 2001, Schenker introduced Value Based Warehousing with the opening of its first automated warehouse in Brampton, Ontario. Today, Schenker is a growing network of over 40 locations across Canada and over 3 million square feet of warehouse space.  Present day DB Schenker in Canada employs over 1,600 people.

Last modified: 15.04.2015

To top of page